The highly-anticipated second studio album by Rita Ora is in the making. The Roc Nation star is ready to bring some new music to delight all her fans. The awaited new album is planned to be released sometime in November via Atlantic Records and Warner Music.
This album’s journey started early 2014 when the singer posted a picture on Instagram with a simple ‘O‘ as part of her new logo, inspired by the iconic style letter ‘R’ by Rihanna, and used as the new logo on the artwork of the lead single from this project “I Will Never Let You Down“, released on March 31 same year.
The second single was the track “Get a Little Closer“, but it was finally canceled. Rita also confirmed a few details about the project. She said:
I’m very excited about this new album. There are people on it who I would never even have dreamed of: JAY Z and Prince for example.
Ora also worked in the studio with Chicago-based rapper Vic Mensa. The singer also confirmed on Instagram that she worked in the studio with will.i.am.
Ora recorded a track called “A Little More“, as part of 2014 DKNY’s perfume campaign. During the official presentation in New York, the singer said that the album will finally be released in January 2015. But finally, it did not happen.
The singer announced another track called “Grateful“, written by Diane Warren. The song was the main theme on American romantic drama film “Beyond the Lights“, directed and written by Gina Prince-Bythewood. It was nominated for Best Original song at Academy Awards 2015.
Yahoo! also unveiled the first preview of Ora’s anticipated Prince collaboration called “Ain’t About 2 Stop“, which was premiered through an exclusive video during her studio recording in Paisley Park on 1 October 2014. The song was finally included on Prince’s latest album “HITNRUN (Phase One)“, released on September 7th.
In late 2014, Ora confirmed a Diplo-produced track called “Testosterone” as next single, but once again, it was finally scrapped.
The second official single “Poison“ was finally released on digital retailers on 18 May 2015. During an interview with NOISEY, Ora also confirmed an upcoming collaboration with Ed Sheeran. She said:
I did this incredibly beautiful song with Ed about our friendship; he’s one of my best friends. It’s amazing having a friend in this industry of the opposite sex that you haven’t hooked up with. He’s such a legend. I respect him in so many ways
During her set at BBC Radio 1’s Big Weekend on Sunday May 24th, Rita Ora debuted live for the first time new track called “Kingdom Come“.
In an interview with Ebro on Hot 97, the British singer revealed that her U.S. debut is “all about pussy power“. She said:
It’s really about how we get judged for the things that we do and how men don’t. I know it’s part of society, but I think we can still stick together as females. And also, I feel like, at the moment, females have never been closer—pop stars, specifically. It’s an exciting time for females in this industry
During an interview with Refinery29, Ora described the album as “It has a darker, more sexual tone to it, and I guess it’s more blunt“.
The third official single from the album was the track “Body On Me“, featuring Chris Brown, which was launched on digital retailers and streaming services on 7 August 2015.
Later the same month, Ora gave some new details about the project. She said:
On this second album I’ve put my blood in it, literally. The album was my resurrection. I got myself together. I had amazing people around me. I went back to the drawing board and started writing with them. So this album I wanna be the rock star that I always was. I have to fight every day. I still have to grind
During an interview with Evening Standard, Rita confirmed that her awaited album has been delayed until next year (2016). Ora also said she is frustrated by how her love life overshadows her music.
On an interview with ITV, Rita confirmed she worked with Meghan Trainor in some new music. In April 2016, Meghan revealed during an interview with The Sun that the song she penned by Rita’s album is called “Sugar Daddy“.
In July 2016, she signed a new deal with Warner Music and probably lost all her songs recorded before that, on the lawsuit against her old labels Roc Nation and Columbia Records.
Rita has recorded new music with Charli XCX, Stargate, Diana Gordon, BloodPop, Rodney Jerkins and others. During an interview with Standard, she confirmed that her album, after all the delays and scrapped projects, will be finished in October. She said:
I’m desperate to get my music out. I think I’m now at a point in my life where I have a new amazing label, we really have taken it to the next level. It’s very song-based. It’s very real — real instruments, believable lyrics. I’ve not only grown as an individual but as a woman. People are going to see that. I’ve been a whirlwind but I’ve honestly been living my dream. I was living in New York for three months filming America’s Next Top Model, now I’m in London for two months recording every day with my dream team. Then I fly to LA in October to finish the album
During a recent interview with The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Nick Grimshaw, Ora has confirmed that new music will be available in February and also premiered a snippet of new track on her phone.
During a recent interview with Billboard, Ora has revealed some details of the album including a collaboration with Nile Rodgers and also revealed some titles of new tracks and also the influences from the album. She said:
The theme of the record is London! Being from the U.K., and having that love for grime music and English rap, the Skeptas and the Giggs of the world that we’ve got [representing for] our youth, that is very important to me. There’s a song called “I’m Not Afraid,” that talks about everything that people may think I’ve run away from. There’s a song called “Soul Survivor.” It’s not a dwelling record — this is a happy record. It’s about breaking through. It’s like a rebirth
Apparently, Ora has been working in the studio with Jess Glynne and they recorded a duet. (Source) Apparently, the lead single from the project could be called “Love Don’t Let Me Go” and it could be produced by marshmello. The singer has also recently been working again with Ed Sheeran in the studio. (Source)
- A Little More
- All That I Want | Rita Ora, Steve Mac & Ammar Malik
- Army of One | Rita Ora, Christopher Crowhurst, Fraser T. Smith & Ina Wroldsen
- Body On Me (feat. Chris Brown) | Stefan Johnson, Balazs Harko, Tinashe Sibanda, Rosina Russell, Jordan Johnson, Robin Ellingsen, Chris Brown, Marcus Lomax & James Abrahart
- California Love | Rita Ora, Martin Terefe & James McCollum
- Can’t Stop Loving You | Rita Ora, Martin Terefe, Sacha Skarbek & James McCollum
- Caught On Fire | Rita Ora, Mikkel S. Eriksen & Tor Erik Hermansen LEAKED
- Champagne Lights
- Cigarette | Rita Ora, Pete Martin & Ruth Anne Cunningham
- Deny | Rita Ora, Martin Terefe & Nicholas Whitecross
- Disco Fever
- Egyptian Cotton | Justin Tranter, Raja Kumari & Kenneth Coby
- (Every Woman Needs a) Superman | Rita Ora & James McCollum
- Explode | Sam Romans, Dallas Koehlke & Henry Fong
- Falling to Pieces | Rita Ora, Ali Tamposi, Andrew Watt Velvet Rope, Jimmy Napes & Sam Romans NEW
- Fools Gold | Rita Ora, Martin Terefe & James McCollum
- Get a Little Closer LEAKED
- Girls (feat. Charli XCX & MØ)
- Give It Back | Rita Ora & Fraser T. Smith
- Grateful | Diane Warren
- Hallelujah | Phillip Fender, Alexander Goodwin, Gabrielle Nowee, Ardita Satka & Sidney Swift
- Hell of a Life | Ali Tamposi, Brian Lee, Louis Bell & Andrew Watt
- Him & Me Girls | Rita Ora, Ali Tamposi & Andrew Watt NEW
- I Will Never Let You Down | Calvin Harris
- I’m Not Afraid
- I’m Right Here | Rita Ora, Mikkel S. Eriksen & Tor Erik Hermansen LEAKED
- In the City | Rita Ora, Mikkel S. Eriksen & Tor Erik Hermansen LEAKED
- Kingdom Come
- Kiss Me
- Last Love | Marcus Durand Lomax, Chantal Kreviazuk, Adam Johnson Stefan, Kendall Johnson Jordan & Bernard Coffee Clarence
- Losing My Cool | BaxterTheFuture, Adam Midgeley, Gerald O’Connell & Georgina Overton
- Love Don’t Let Me Go
- Love Is Dangerous | Rita Ora & James McCollum
- Money | Nicholas Ruth, Rita Ora & Sohn
- No More You | Shaffer Smith, Mikkel S. Eriksen & Tor Erik Hermansen LEAKED
- Not Scared LEAKED
- One Too Many Times
- Poison | Nolan Lambroza, Julia Michaels & Kate Nash
- Ribbons | BaxterTheFuture, Adam Midgeley, Gerald O’Connell & Georgina Overton
- Religion (feat. Wiz Khalifa)
- Shy | Rita Ora, Martin Terefe & James McCollum
- Slow | Rita Ora & Fraser T. Smith
- Solid Ground | Rita Ora, August Rigo, Mikkel S. Eriksen & Tor Erik Hermansen LEAKED
- Soul Survivor
- Sugar Daddy | Meghan Trainor
- Suicidal | Rita Ora, Robert Rihmeek Williams & Carlton Mays
- Summer Love
- Swagger | Rita Ora & Fraser T. Smith
- Testosterone | Thomas Wesley Pentz
- Things Can Only Get Better | Tommy Sims, Rita Ora, Martin Terefe & Sacha Skarbek
- Tonight | Jonathan Shave, Jason Pebworth, Rita Ora, Greg Fleming & George Astasio
- Touch the Sky
- Us | Ed Sheeran
- Waiting | Rita Ora & Martin Terefe
- Where Did the Ones Go | Rita Ora, Martin Terefe & Sacha Skarbek
- Young Dreamers (feat. Macklemore)
- Your Song